String of Gunfights in Kashmir Claims Lives of Three Indian Soldiers and Police Officer

The mountains of the Kokorenag area in Kashmir echoed with the sadness of a tragic incident that took away the lives of three brave souls – a commanding officer, a major, and a deputy superintendent of police. The loss was felt deeply among those who served in the army and police force, and their courage and valor will be remembered for years to come. The attack occurred during a search operation when the suspects ambushed the officers near a stream.

The evacuation process was hindered due to intense gunfire, causing a delay in providing immediate aid. Police chief Dilbagh Singh expressed his condolences and assured that the culprits responsible for this heinous act will be swiftly brought to justice.

Amid continuous hostile gunfire, the bodies of the fallen officers were recovered by the authorities.

The army used helicopters to rescue the officers during the fighting. The exact number of terrorists remains unknown as the government hasn’t disclosed it yet.


The Joint Operation

The Army and Jammu and Kashmir Police joined forces to carry out a search operation in Garol village. Their mission was to locate and capture terrorists hiding in the dense forests of Kokernag. The operation began on the night of September 12-13 and has been ongoing for over 48 hours.

During the operation, three officers, including two Army personnel and a policeman, were tragically killed in an intense gunfight with the terrorists. Unfortunately, we don’t have any information about the number of casualties on the terrorists’ side.

To enhance their efforts, the security forces were employing state-of-the-art weapons and devices, including drones, to combat terrorism effectively.

The search operation was conducted meticulously, and it was discovered that the terrorists were secluded in a hideout in the upper regions of the dense forest.

Colonel Manpreet Singh and Major Aashish Dhonchak, leading the search team, bravely navigated through challenging terrains and forest openings. Around noon, they encountered heavy gunfire from the terrorists and fought back valiantly. Tragically, Colonel Singh, Major Dhonchak, and DSP Himanyun Bhat sustained gunshot wounds during the fierce battle and later succumbed to their injuries.


Banned Group Claims Responsibility for Attack
The banned Resistance Front, reportedly associated with Pakistan’s Lashker-e-Taiba, has taken responsibility for the recent attack. It occurred shortly after the unfortunate incident in Rajouri, where an Army personnel and a loyal six-year-old Labrador from the Army’s dog unit named Kent lost their lives.

Additionally, three security personnel were injured during the gunfight in the southern Pir Panjal region of Jammu. The encounter resulted in the elimination of two terrorists in the remote Narla village. Authorities are now examining any potential links between these events.


Tributes Paid to Valiant Officers as Investigation for Justice Begins

DGP Dilbag Singh paid tribute to the brave police and army officers who tragically passed away. His heartfelt words conveyed the sorrow of every life lost and promised that those responsible for this heinous crime would be served justice swiftly. He also extended his deepest sympathies to the families of the fallen heroes, including Bhat – a devoted father to a two-month-old baby girl and the son of retired Inspector General of Jammu and Kashmir Police, Ghulam Hasan Bhat.

Our Bravehearts
Colonel Manpreet Singh’s response was a firm “No Sir” when offered a peaceful assignment after his promotion in 2021. Instead, he willingly chose to remain in command of the 19 Rashtriya Rifles, a battalion known for its successful efforts in eliminating terrorists, including the prominent figure Burhan Wani from Hizbul Mujahideen.

Having a wife, a young son who is six years old, and a two-year-old daughter, Colonel Singh was an experienced soldier who received the prestigious Sena Medal during his time as the second-in-command of the 19 Rashtriya Rifles. This battalion was responsible for maintaining security in South Anantnag, Kokernag, and Verinag Achabal, areas infested with terrorists, especially those from other countries.

Colonel Singh, who was in his early forties, was joined by Major Dhonchak, who at the age of 34 had recently narrowly escaped death. Major Dhonchak was known for his enthusiastic approach, meticulously analyzing every detail of each operation.

Humayun Bhat was the son of Ghulam Hassan Bhat, a retired police officer from Jammu & Kashmir. Sadly, Humayun passed away and his father, Ghulam, paid his final respects with a heavy heart. It was even more heart-wrenching because Humayun had recently started a new chapter in his personal life. Just a year and a half ago, he got married and a couple of months ago, his joy multiplied when his baby girl was born.

In the midst of the sad crowd, Humayun’s wife stood strong, holding their baby girl in her arms.

Major Dhonchak was from Panipat, a town in Haryana. His family came from a small village called Binjhol. He was the only son of his dad, who used to work as a clerk in the NFL before retiring. Dhonchak had three sisters. He had promised his father that he would come home for his birthday, which was four months away.

Right now, his family lives in a rented house in Panipat. They were excited because his father had built a new house for them, which they were supposed to inaugurate.

About nine years ago, Major Dhonchak got married to Jyoti from Jind, Haryana. They also have a little daughter named Vamika, who is two and a half years old. Before serving in Kashmir, Major Dhonchak was posted in Bathinda, Punjab. He was honored with the Sena Medal on August 11 earlier this year.